Sunday, January 12, 2014

London Oct 26th and 27th

I’m sorry I’m sorry. I was supposed to post this like 2 months ago. But I did ask you to remind me and I only received 2 reminders (one yesterday) so I’m holding you partly accountable. London seems like a long time ago but it was really fun so it seems like last week too! I am/was thinking about returning at the beginning of February but I am not sure I have the cash or if a quick trip would be worth the price of travel.

After arriving on Thursday, exploring on Friday and seeing Jack Whitehall, Friday was a day for theater. First OF COURSE was a full English breakfast: DSCN1706

Not at some small café but at a crypt!

DSCN1708 

Near the royal gallery I walked down a spiral staircase seemingly in the middle of an alley. But it lead to a café and entrance to a church and of course the church gift shop. Here’s a website for the church: http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org/ and from there you can click on café at the crypt

 

After breakfast it was time for theater. well not right afterwards but close. I moseyed toward Piccadilly circus to try and see The Book of Mormon.

 DSCN1713

Actually tickets for the matinee were like 85pounds but before each show they raffle off the first row of seats for 10 pounds. I filled out a form and put my card in the drum…..and didn’t get a seat. My mom always says Akehurst don’t win but I’ll give it another try the next time I’m in London.

 

Since I was in a capital I had to send mom and dad a postcard. I slipped it into this box.

 DSCN1711

I was worried it may just be a tourist one set up for people to take pictures with but sometime in November my mom said she got it!

Since I didn’t get tickets to the play I went to the national Gallery. There’s a lot of pictures there and stuff but you’re not allowed to take any pictures. Not even of the cool architecture of the building. At least I got yelled at trying to take a picture of the ceiling. But outside was pretty busy. Apparently it was a fan rally for the NFL. Big crowds and quite crowded.

DSCN1724

A group was even walking around chanting!

DSCN1720

 

Too busy and a commotion for me so I headed back to the hostel and got ready for my night out! The main reason and event for my trip was to see the first preview (unofficial opening night) of Mojo starring Rupert Grint …. and some other people. This is the Harold Pinter Theater. The show is going until Feb 8th which is why I want to return to London.

 DSCN1715DSCN1714

DSCN1717

I want to go with a friend this time but getting our schedules and funds to line up and add up is tough. Before the show I enjoyed a Gin Fizz made with champagne and sloe gin and other stuff.  DSCN1738

I didn’t have the best seats and about 3in of leg room but I rented theses handy binoculars!

DSCN1743 

DSCN1741DSCN1745

I even saw Rupert after the show!!! See that blurry poof of red hair! Hopefully I’ll get a picture of the two of us next time.

DSCN1750

The play was over 2 hours! After fangirl-ing out and snapping a couple of blurry pictures, I then managed the subway back to the hostel and I was nestled all snug in a bunk bed,
While visions of Rupert-plums danced in my head.

Sunday! Sunday was the day I check out of the hostel and explore museums. Did you know there are two Tates? The one closer to my hostel was the British Tate full of British art. It took me a while to realize there weren’t going to be an Edward Hopper paintings any where. I arrived just in time for a tour! Doesn’t my tour guide look like Linda Hunt! haha well she gave a tour of art depicting theater. We saw portraits of dancers and actors and theater scenes. Definitely gave more interesting information than just walking around reading the labels. 

DSCN1752

The British Tate is right next to the art school. Not sure if all the trees had a disease or if it was done on purpose. What do you think?

DSCN1751

Then it was time for lunch at Tate 2: The Tate Modern. I didn’t get a seat by the windows but there was a great view anyways.

DSCN1754

The food was pretty fancy but I ordered a meal with black pudding just to try it. I’m not a fan. the texture is a bit off. And then I got some lemon and mango sorbet for dessert.

DSCN1753DSCN1755

The Tate Modern is full of modern art, in case you were wondering. I’m not usually a fan of modern art and after going to the Tate, I standby that opinion. Well after that I had to check out some major movie spots.  Here’s two! The walking bridge was completely safe and had no indication of a Death Eaters attack.

DSCN1757

I was a bit disappointed with St Peter’s Cathedral. As I was Sunday I couldn’t just walk around. But what was really interesting were the stairs! Unfortunately there was no old lady feeding the birds but I could definitely picture it.

 DSCN1762

The gift shop didn’t even have any Mary Poppins paraphernalia.

  DSCN1760DSCN1765

My last spot to see was the tower bridge. I was too tired and unsure of the distance to walk there but I found a train station with a good view! Another place to visit on my next trip.

DSCN1731

No comments:

Post a Comment